Nowadays making Biryani for my family isn't much time consuming. I actually find it very easy than making rice, curry and side-dish. Prawns is my little ones favorite and so made prawns biryani for dinner on her b'day. You just need raita and pickle and just relish it on.
Start off with making rice and prawns masala mixture simultaneously and will in turn be easier to set together.
How to make ghee rice:
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Cloves - 2 nos
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
Bay leaf - 1
Cardamon - 2 nos
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Boiling water - 2 cups
- Better to use a wide frying pan to cook the rice.
- Pour ghee to hot pan.
- Add cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cardamom to the ghee and fry for few seconds.
- Meanwhile boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan.
- Add the basmati rice and fry for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Pour boiling water to the rice. Add salt and mix just once. DO NOT STIR in between.
- Place lid and set timer for 15 minutes. Let rice get cooked in medium low flame.
- After 15 minutes, switch off the flame and take off the lid. Cover the pan with kitchen towel for the steam to get absorbed in the towel.
- Fluffy rice will be ready.
Prawns - 1 cup, To marinate - add ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and salt, mix well
Onions - 3 , finely sliced
Green chilly - 2, slit lengthwise
Ginger - ½ tbsp,finely chopped
Garlic - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Tomato - 2 no, finley sliced
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - ½ tbsp
Garam masala - ½ tbsp
Sour cream - ½ cup (optional). Can substitute yogurt
- Slightly fry the marinated prawns in coconut oil and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions and slit green chilly. Once it's sauteed, add ginger garlic and fry till the raw smell is off.
- Add the powders and fry for 2 minutes until nice aroma of the fried powders arise.
- Add slices tomatoes and saute till it's soft
- Add sour cream and fried prawns. Let it boil for few minutes for the flavors to sweep thru
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Switch on the pan with prawns masala on a very low flame.
- Just top the cooked basmati rice over the prawns masala.
- Sprinkle garam masala and chopped corinader leaves.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of ghee over the set rice.
- Cover with lid and let it sit on low flame for 15 minutes.