Recipe Source: MIL
Coarse semolina - 1 cup approx
Egg - 1
Sugar - 4 tbsp, as per taste
Baking powder - a pinch
Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
Oil - to deep fry
- Pour oil to a saucepan and keep it on medium flame.
- Beat the egg with a fork. Add sugar according to your taste and beat until dissolved.
- Add cardamom powder, baking powder and mix well.
- Now add coarse semolina until the mixture turns really thick (thicker than the idli consistency).
- Allow the batter to rest for few minutes.
- When oil is medium-hot, dip in a spoonful of batter to the hot oil.
- Once it turns golden brown colour on one side, just turnover.
- Take out the fried semolina balls from out of the hot oil when the fried balls have turned to a nice brown colour.
- I'm unable to provide the accurate measurement of the semolina used as it depends on the size of the egg used & the coarse semolina variety.
- When you dip the spoonful of batter and if the spreads without holding the shape, then you need to add more semolina to the batter to make it thick consistency.
- When consistency is really thick, the batter will hold it's shape when dropped in hot oil.