I believe even not such hard core fans of brinjal will love this as it is stuffed, shallow fried and has got a very crispy outer layer. This wonderfully pairs with just plain rice and yoghurt. I tasted this first time from my Lalitamaami and she makes the best brinjal stuffed fry. Though I can't recollect the exact ingredients she used for the stuffing, I've made a similar one.
Though we are not big fan of brinjals, I love only this stuffed fry; but very hard to make Sathya to consume the brinjals. He hates all versions of brinjals. Phew.. In spite of all this trouble, I could make him eat just one.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Lalitamaami
Small Brinjals - 10
Dry whole Kashmiri chilli - 6 (If using dry red hot chilli, use 3-4)
Channa dal - 2 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - ¾ tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 4 nos
Garlic cloves - 3 nos (finely sliced)
Asafoetida - a pinch
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Kashmiri Red chilli powder - a pinch
- Pour a tablespoon of oil to hot sauce pan. Then add dry whole red chilli and roast for 2 minutes.
- Add channa dal and roast until it turns golden brown.
- Add urad dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, sliced garlic cloves, curry leaves, salt and dry roast till it turns brown in color.
- Add a dash of asafoetida after switching off the flame.
- When cooled, grind the spices in a blender without adding water.
- Once grounded, add drops of water until you can attain a consistency (make a perfect ball of grounded mixture). Check for salt.
- Slice open the brinjals as shown below.
- Stuff the grounded mixture inside the slits and tightly close.
- Pour couple of tablespoons of oil in deep pan for shallow frying the brinjals.
- When oil is hot enough, add a pinch of salt and stir well.
- Place the stuffed brinjals in the oil. Sprinkle turmeric powder and kashmiri red chilli powder on the skin of brinjals.
- Turn the brinjals so that it cook on all sides. Drizzle oil on the brinjals for a crispy skin.