Pages

January 9, 2013

Tomato Chutney


Learnt this chutney from my aunt, Sita ammama. She too is an awesome cook. During my college/work days, whenever I go home on weekends I make a habit to visit her all the time. It's been like that for all these years. Even during my childhood days, I go along with Achan and he visits her quite frequently. Sita ammamma is my Achan's little sis and takes lot care of her :) I used to wonder seeing her enormous recipe collections; many of her own. One can even publish a recipe book of hers. When she hears that I'm back in Calicut, she keeps my share aside; it can be either snacks, sweets anything and it's always yummy. Hats off to her cooking skills and kaipunnyamm!!

This chutney requires very little coconut as compared to the other traditional chutneys. I prefer this chutney as I've got only a blender and not a mixie here. I find it very hard to make coconut chutney with the blender. It doesn't make a smooth paste and avoid making that. With tomato chutney, my blender does perfect job.


Recipe Source : Sita ammamma

Ingredients:

Onion - 1 no (chopped)
Ginger - 1/2 tsp (chopped)
Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
Tomato - 1 no (chopped)
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves - 2 sprigs
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri whole dried red chilli - 2 nos

To Temper:
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Whole dried red chilli - 1 no

Instructions:

  • Heat oil in a pan and add urad dal. Fry the urad dal until golden brown in colour.
  • Add whole dried Kashmiri red chilli and sauté till it changes colour.
  • Add chopped onions and sauté till translucent.
  • Add chopped ginger and garlic and sauté till raw smell goes off.
  • Add chopped tomato and sauté till it turns soft.
  • Now add grated coconut and fry for 2 minutes.
  • Before switching off the flame, add the coriander sprigs.
  • When cooled, grind into a smooth paste adding water.
  • Temper by heating oil in the same pan, add mustard seeds and let it crack. Break the dried whole red chilly and fry along with the cracked mustard seeds. Add to chutney.

2 comments:

  1. Good one. Was a good combo with Idli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Yes, it is indeed a great combination with idli/dosa and also requires very less quantity of coconut :)

      Delete